Saturday, February 9, 2008

Turtles on the 1000 Island

Besides the mangrove project, the government also runs a turtle hatchery on the small island. Eggs are collected from nearby islands and incubated until they hatch. The baby turtles are then nursed until they are big enough to be released into the wild. I only have photos of the turtles. I'll update with pictures of the facility when I return to the island. One interesting resident at the hatchery was a large deformed turtle. He has been at the facility for a long time and is quite tame. I guess the people that work there thought he couldn't survive in the wild and decided to raise it. I'll check to see if he is still there the next time I make the trip.






No comments:

Aquaculture Northern Bali

November Corals Collection Part. 1

November Corals Collection Part. 2

Aquaculture - November Shipment

Coral Showcase - September 2008 Inventory

Holding Facility's Corals Collection Showcase 2007